Karragarra is the smallest of the Southern Moreton Bay Islands being approximately 2.5 km long and 0.5 km wide. Karragarra Island has a small permanent population of 160 residents according to the 2011 Census.
Karragarra Island has retained its indigenous name, although it was aptly known as Rabbit Island in the 1870s as rabbits, an introduced species, were cultivated as a food source for many years. By 1859 the Moreton Bay Oyster Co had built a depot for oyster leases on the western side and over the next few decades oystermen were the main island residents. In 1889 the northern part was subdivided, with most of the island held by the Noyes farming family by the early 20th century. The Moreton Bay Oyster Co retained its lease on the western section.
During the 1930s Karragarra Island was a popular spot for Brisbane-based Hayles Cruises, which offered well patronised day trips around Moreton Bay. Visitors to Karragarra Island had the added benefit of being able to buy local produce direct from farms.
Today; the sandy beaches, protected swimming area and BBQ’s near the jetty have become a popular picnic spot and ideal for families with small children. There are no shops – all food and goods must be brought from the mainland or the larger islands. Some holiday accommodation is available. Karragarra Island has a Rural Fire Station and helicopter landing pad in the island’s north along the Esplanade. The island’s road network is a mix of sealed and unsealed roads.
The current land use pattern for Karragarra Island is typically small-scale residential communities. It is preferred that the land use on Karragarra Island remains in a similar way due to the high cultural heritage significance areas (Indigenous areas). The south-eastern and western sectors of the Island are predominantly rural land uses to uphold the existing mangrove communities.