Mount Cotton is located in the south-west of Redland City and is bounded by the locality of Sheldon, West Mount Cotton Road, Mount Cotton Road and Eprapah Creek in the north, Kingfisher Road, Bunker Road, Double Jump Road, Heinemann Road and German Church Road in the east, Logan City and Gramzow Road in the south, and Logan City in the west.
Mount Cotton has a land area of 4,273 hectares or approximately 43km2. Mount Cotton is named after the mountain, which was named after Major Sydney Cotton, Commandant of Moreton Bay Penal Settlement, 1837-1839.
Settlement of the area dates from the mid 1850s, with land used initially for cattle grazing, and for farming. Gradual growth took place in the late 1800s. Significant development did not occur until the mid 1980s when an estate was developed in the south-east. Rapid growth took place during the 1990s, with the population trebling between 1991 and 2001. Rapid growth continued between 2001 and 2011 as large numbers of new dwellings were added to the area, particularly between 2006 and 2011. Mount Cotton largely contains environmental, rural and rural-residential areas, with growing residential areas in the south-east.
Major features of the area include Venman Bushland National Park, Mount Cotton, Karingal Scout Campsite, Sandy Creek Conservation Area, Bayview Village Shopping Centre, Sirromet Wines, Mount Cotton Community Park, Mount Cotton Skate Park and one school.