The first preference is for people to ‘shelter-in-place’ – stay where you are. Evacuations should only occur when the risk of sheltering in place is greater than the risk associated with leaving and moving to a place of lower risk.
Evacuation Centres/Assembly Areas/Helicopter Landing Sites
Evacuation Centres will be opened as demand requires. Information relating to the opening of Evacuation Centres will be announced via our information sources – please tune in to local radio ABC 612 AM and Bay FM 100.3 and follow updates on the Redland City Council news site, Twitter and Facebook.
For information relating to current evacuations, please contact Redland City Council on 3829 8999.
The Evacuation Centres are the primary assembly areas during a disaster and will often have an oval or parkland nearby for a helicopter landing site that provide quick access to the Evacuation Centre. Accordingly, latitude and longitude information has been provided for the Evacuation Centres that have adjoining land size suitable to accommodate a helicopter landing site.
- Thorneside Community Hall
200-204 Mooroondu Road, Thorneside
Ph: 3829 8999
Soccer Field, next to Thorneside Community Hall
Lat: -27.4867; Long: 153.2075
- Birkdale School of Arts Hall
101 Birkdale Rd, Birkdale
Ph: 3829 8999
- Wellington Point Recreational Hall
347-371 Birkdale Road, Wellington Point
Ph: 3829 8999
Redland City Council and the Department of Education, Training and Employment have established a Memorandum of Understanding to allow suitable public school facilities to be used as evacuation centres during disasters. The facilities listed below are located closest to this suburb. View the full list of available evacuation sites for mainland Redland City here.
- Birkdale State School – Hall
74 Agnes Street, Birkdale
Ph: 3286 0777
Lat: -27.4904; Long: 153.2168
- Birkdale South State School – Hall
447-459 Old Cleveland Road East, Birkdale
Ph: 3820 4333
Lat: -27.5075; Long: 153.2136
- Wellington Point State High School – Hall
2-36 Bagden Road, Wellington Point
Ph: 3820 4222
Lat: -27.4920; Long: 153.2309
- Wellington Point State School – Hall
476 Main Road, Wellington Point
Ph: 3286 0666
Lat: -27.4902; Long: 153.2372
If you need to evacuate, it is recommended that you seek shelter with family or friends in the first instance. If these options are not available to you, we will establish crises accommodation in the form of Evacuation Centres or another appropriate means of short-term accommodation. When evacuating from your home, your chosen evacuation route should always be the most direct and safest route available, be aware of possible localised flooding.
Remember: If it’s flooded, forget it!
If you are evacuating the Thorneside area to stay with family or friends outside of the Redlands, the following evacuation routes are recommended:
- Exit Redland City by travelling south along Birkdale Road to the intersection with Old Cleveland Road and travel along either Old Cleveland Road or Moreton Bay Road toward Brisbane.
- Exit Redland City by travelling west along Quarry and Rickertt Roads toward Brisbane. Please Note: this evacuation route is not recommended during periods of heavy rainfall as Rickertt Road is susceptible to flash flooding on the Brisbane City side of Tingalpa Creek.