The first preference is for people to ‘shelter-in-place’ – stay where you are. Evacuations should only occur when the risk of sheltering in place is greater than the risk associated with leaving and moving to a place of lower risk.
Evacuation Centres/Assembly Areas/Helicopter Landing Sites
Evacuation Centres will be opened as demand requires. Information relating to the opening of Evacuation Centres will be announced via our information sources – please tune in to local radio – ABC 612AM and Bay FM 100.3 and follow updates on the Redland City Council news site, Twitter and Facebook.
For information relating to current evacuations, please contact Redland City Council on 3829 8999.
The Evacuation Centres are the primary assembly areas during a disaster and will often have an oval or parkland nearby for a helicopter landing site that provide quick access to the Evacuation Centre. Accordingly, latitude and longitude information has been provided for the Evacuation Centres that have adjoining land size suitable to accommodate a helicopter landing site.
- Victoria Point Community Hall
325 Colburn Avenue, Victoria Point
Ph: 3829 8999
Lat: -27.5844 Long: 153.2921
- Redland Bay Community Hall
5 Weinam Street, Redland Bay
Ph: 3829 8999
Redland Bay Parkland (behind Community Hall)
Lat: -27.6149 Long: 153.3066
- Thornlands Dance Palais
87-95 Redland Bay Road, Thornlands
Ph: 3829 8999
Redland City Council and the Department of Education, Training and Employment have established a Memorandum of Understanding to allow suitable public school facilities to be used as evacuation centres during disasters. The facilities listed below are located closest to this suburb. View the full list of available evacuation sites for mainland Redland City here.
- Victoria Point State High School – Student Centre-Hall
93-131 Benfer Road, Victoria Point
Ph: 3820 5888
Lat: -27.5924 Long: 153.2852
- Victoria Point State School – Hall
274 Colburn Avenue, Victoria Point
Ph: 3820 5666
Lat: -27.5825 Long: 153.2961
- Redland Bay State School – Hall
125-141 Gordon Road, Redland Bay
Ph: 3206 7288
Lat: -27.6203 Long: 153.2907
- Thornlands State School – Hall
147-163 Panorama Drive, Thornlands
Ph: 3821 8111
Lat: -27.5487 Long: 153.2614
- Mount Cotton State School – Hall
1246 Mt Cotton Road, Mount Cotton
Ph: 3822 0444
Lat: -27.6213 Long: 153.2356
If you need to evacuate, it is recommended that you seek shelter with family or friends in the first instance. If these options are not available to you, we will establish crises accommodation in the form of Evacuation Centres or another appropriate means of short-term accommodation. When evacuating from your home, your chosen evacuation route should always be the most direct and safest route available, be aware of possible localised flooding. Please tune in to ABC 612AM and Bay FM 100.3 for warnings of road closures and follow updates on the Redland City Council news site, Twitter and Facebook.
Remember: If it’s flooded, forget it!
If you are evacuating the Victoria Point area to stay with family or friends outside the Redlands, the following evacuation routes are recommended:
- Exit Redland City by travelling west along Colburn Avenue to the intersection with Redland Bay Road, turn right and travel north to Boundary Road and travel west along Boundary Road to the round-about; take the Duncan Road exit toward Sheldon and continue heading west to Mt Cotton Road. Continue along Mt Cotton Road toward Capalaba or turnoff at the intersection of Mt Cotton Road and Broadwater Road toward Burbank.
- Exit Redland City from the Victoria Point Shopping Centre by travelling south-west along Bunker Road which becomes Double Jump Road. Continue along Double Jump Road to the intersection of Mt Cotton Road, turn left and head south along Mt Cotton Road to the intersection with Redland Bay Rd, Cornubia. Turn right and head west along Redland Bay Road through Cornubia toward the M1, Loganholme.
- Exit Redland City by travelling south along Redland Bay Road through Victoria Point and Redland Bay where the road will turn from south to west and continue along the Redland Bay Road through Cornubia toward the M1, Loganholme.