Who are Community Champions?
The Community Champions Program was borne after the Russell Island and Macleay Island Fires in 2016, where urgent evacuation was required for residents seeking shelter from the threat of fire.
It was discovered that shelter and care to these impacted residents could be provided sooner with the assistance of trained volunteers based on the islands.
These volunteers can open the Evacuation Centre and provide shelter, food, water and care for their neighbours, working in conjunction with the Redland City Local Disaster Management Group, Red Cross and Volunteering Queensland.
- Are local residents who support their community during emergencies
- Provide education to the community about how to prepare for a disaster
- Respond during an emergency to set up Evacuation Centres
- Assist with community recovery following a disaster
- Help build community resilience and disaster preparedness
- Receive training in psychological first aid, evacuation centre and volunteer management
- Become registered volunteers with Council, Australian Red Cross and Volunteering Queensland
- Contribute invaluable local knowledge and expertise to assist in all aspects of disaster management
- Are a valuable resource to the Council, emergency services and the community
Community Champions – Training Program
- Two days’ training provided by Queensland Fire and Emergency Services (QFES) and the Australian Red Cross
- On-going training is also offered to Community Champions to ensure skills remain current
- All training days are fully catered
Community Champions – Selection Criteria
- Be a resident of the Redland City Council area
- Be available to attend ongoing training workshops
- Be prepared to become a registered volunteer with Redland City Council, Australian Red Cross and Volunteering Queensland
- Be willing to engage with the community to provide disaster preparedness advice and assist with disaster response and recovery activities
- Be available to attend training during usual business hours
- Open to ages over 18 years
- Please note: Community Champions do not require high standards of physical fitness, however disasters can be confronting and those selected should be prepared to confront and manage difficult situations, which require compassion and resilience
Want to become a Community Champion?
To register your interest, please click on the link to complete the Community Champion Expression of Interest form.
If you would like more information or wish to discuss before completing the form above, please call 3829 8999 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.