Disaster Management terms and definitions are contained in the glossary and acronyms published on the Queensland Government Disaster Management website, as part of the Prevention Preparedness, Response and Recovery Disaster Management Guideline.
The following definitions are not contained in the list provided in the link above, but are used by Redland City Council (RCC):
- The direction of members and resources of an agency in the performance of the agency’s roles and tasks. Command operates vertically within a single agency.
- The overall direction of the activities, agencies or individuals concerned. Control operates horizontally across all agencies, functions and individuals and relates to a situation.
- In this plan, Council means Redland City Council (RCC).
- Disaster Relief Funding Arrangements (DRFA)
- Joint Commonwealth and State Government arrangements that provide a diverse range of funding relief measures following an eligible disaster.
- Actions taken to re-establish a community after a period of rehabilitation subsequent to a disaster. Actions would include construction of permanent housing, restoration of all services and complete resumption of the pre-disaster state.
- Risk Reduction
- Actions taken to lessen the likelihood, negative consequences, or both, associated with a risk. (Adapted from ISO Guide 73:2009 Risk Management – Vocabulary)
- Risk Treatment
- Risk treatment involves selecting one or more options for modifying risks, and implementing those options. (ISO 31000:2018).
- State Disaster Relief Arrangements (SDRA)
- A wholly State funded program that may be activated for all hazards to provide assistance to alleviate personal hardship and distress.