Who are Community Champions?
- Are local residents who support their community during emergencies
- Provide education to the community about how to prepare for a disaster
- Respond during an emergency to set up evacuation centres
- Assist with community recovery following a disaster
- Help build community resilience to disasters
- Receive training in psychological first aid, and evacuation and volunteer management
- Become registered volunteers with Council, Australian Red Cross and Volunteering Queensland
- Contribute local knowledge and expertise to assist in all aspects of disaster management
- Are a valuable resource to the Council, emergency services and the community.
Community Champions – Training Program
- Two days’ training provided by Queensland Fire and Emergency Services (QFES)
- All training days are fully catered.
Community Champions – Selection Criteria
- Be a resident with the Redland City Council area
- Be available to attend ongoing training workshops
- Be prepared to become a registered volunteer with Redland City Council, Australian Red Cross and Volunteering Queensland
- Be willing to engage with the community to provide disaster preparedness advice and assist with disaster response and recovery activities
- Be available to attend training during usual business hours
- Open to ages over 18 years
- Please note: Community Champions do not require high standards of physical fitness, however disasters can be confronting and those selected should be prepared to confront and manage difficult situations, which require compassion and resilience.
Want to become a Community Champion?
To register your interest call 3829 8999 or email email@example.com.