During disaster events, it is important to keep calm to help manage fear and to think clearly. It is important to remember that someone may need your help and that you may also need help. You also need to seek reliable information about what is happening and advice from emergency services.
If you have prepared well, the emergency plans will commence and you, your family and neighbours will be in a position to see out the disaster event. When it comes to any disaster, preparation is the key.
There are some simple things you can do during a disaster event to protect your family and home.
- Activate your Household Emergency Plan and get your Emergency Kit.
- During severe storms, stay inside and well clear of windows, doors or other openings.
- Shelter in the safest part of your house (internal room, hallway, built-in wardrobe or cellar).
- Avoid using electrical appliances where possible.
- If outdoors, seek immediate shelter in a solid, enclosed space.
- If driving, turn on your hazard lights and pull over in an area away from trees, power lines, drains and waterways.
- Stay tuned to local radio – ABC 612 AM and Bay FM 100.3.
- Follow rolling updates on the Redland City Council news site.
- Follow updates from Redland City Council’s social media on Twitter and Facebook.
- Follow weather and warning updates at: