The first preference is for people to ‘shelter-in-place’ – stay where you are. Evacuations should only occur when the risk of sheltering in place is greater than the risk associated with leaving and moving to a place of lower risk.
Evacuation Centres/Assembly Areas/Helicopter Landing Sites
Evacuation Centres will be opened as demand requires. Information relating to the opening of Evacuation Centres will be announced via our information sources – please tune in to local radio ABC 612 AM and Bay FM 100.3 and follow updates on the Redland City Council news site, Twitter and Facebook.
For information relating to current evacuations, please contact Redland City Council on 3829 8999.
The Evacuation Centres are the primary assembly areas during a disaster and will often have an oval or parkland nearby for a helicopter landing site that provide quick access to the Evacuation Centre. Accordingly, latitude and longitude information has been provided for the Evacuation Centres that have adjoining land size suitable to accommodate a helicopter landing site.
- Capalaba Place
16-20 Noeleen Street, Capalaba
Ph: 3829 8999
- Alexandra Hills Community Hall
131-155 Finucane Road, Alexandra Hills
Ph: 3829 8999
Lat: -27.5235 Long: 153.2170
- Birkdale School of Arts Hall
101 Birkdale Road, Birkdale
Ph: 3829 8999
Redland City Council and the Department of Education, Training and Employment have established a Memorandum of Understanding to allow suitable public school facilities to be used as evacuation centres during disasters. The facilities listed below are located closest to this suburb. View the full list of available evacuation sites for mainland Redland City here.
- Capalaba State College – Junior Campus Hall
150 Mt Cotton Road, Capalaba
Ph: 3823 9333
Lat: -27.5361 Long: 153.1918
- Capalaba State College – Senior Campus Multi-Purpose Shelter
School Road, Capalaba
Ph: 3823 9111
Lat: -27.5366 Long: 153.1935
- Coolnwynpin State School – Hall
6 Telaska Court, Capalaba QLD 4157
Ph: 3906 4333
Lat: -27.5476 Long: 153.2023
- Alexandra Hills State High School – Hall
3-21 Windemere Road, Alexandra Hills
Ph: 3820 1444
Lat: -27.5229 Long: 153.2120
- Alexandra Hills State School – Performing Arts Block J
12 Princeton Avenue, Alexandra Hills
Ph: 3820 0333
Lat: -27.5189 Long: 153.2199
- Hilliard State School – Hall
106-110 Hanover Drive, Alexandra Hills
Ph: 3820 1666
Lat: -27.5428 Long: 153.2324
- Vienna Woods State School – Hall
12 Heffernan Road, Alexandra Hills
Ph: 3820 0777
Lat: -27.5259 Long: 153.2305
- Birkdale South State School – Hall
451 Old Cleveland Road East, Birkdale
Ph: 3820 4333
Lat: -27.5075 Long: 153.2136
If you need to evacuate, it is recommended that you seek shelter with family or friends in the first instance. If these options are not available to you, we will establish crises accommodation in the form of Evacuation Centres or another appropriate means of short-term accommodation. When evacuating from your home, your chosen evacuation route should always be the most direct and safest route available, be aware of possible localised flooding.
Remember: If it’s flooded, forget it!
If you are evacuating the Capalaba area to stay with family or friends outside of the Redlands, the following evacuation routes are recommended:
- From the Capalaba commercial region, exit Redland City by travelling west along either Old Cleveland Road or Moreton Bay Road toward Brisbane.
- From the southern end of Capalaba, exit Redland City by travelling along Broadwater Road toward Burbank. Alternatively, from the southern end of Capalaba travel south along Mount Cotton Road to the intersection of Redland Bay Road, Cornubia; then travel west along Redland Bay Road toward the M1, Loganholme.
- Please Note: it is not recommended to travel west along Avalon Road toward Rochedale. Avalon Road is known to suffer from localised flooding during rain events and the region is heavily treed with a high to very high bushfire hazard rating.